The 10 Most Important Economic Events of 2016
2016 has been a year of surprises. Who could have predicted the events which happened over the course of the year!
In terms of the economic and financial system, here is my top 10 major events. Many of them are related and some are less serious than others!
1. The election of Donald Trump
3. The strong US dollar
4. The Italian banking woes
5. The European Commission's Apple tax ruling
6. The Celtic Tiger on Angel Dust - the 26% growth in Ireland's GDP!
7. The Bank of England reducing interest rates to 0.25%
8. Economists being dismissed in a post-truth and anti-expert world
9. 720% inflation in Venezuela
10. Demonetisation of 500 and 1,000 rupee notes in India
No doubt many will disagree with this list, and I possibly have forgotten some other key events, but these 10 grabbed my attention. Anyhow, I wish all my blog readers a merry Christmas and every blessing for 2017! Below is my favourite Christmas economics song - Deck the Halls with Macro Follies.